• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ppa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jajamase

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I have working prototypes of inventions, gadgets mostly, and want to show them at a new products show to find interested manufacturers.
Would my best protection against idea or product theft be a PPA for each device? I understand the difference between design and utility patents but I do not feel the expense of a utility patent without marketability study would be worth the expense at this time. I also know there is no PPA regarding design patents. Would a "reduction to practice" notebook carry any weight here? How do I best protect myself and these products?
Please don't suggest an invention marketing company.
Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

divgradcurl

Notebooks and other documentation would help if you filed for a patent and someone who saw your product also filed for a patent -- U.S. is a "first to invent" system, not a "first to file" system. If you have the documentation, you might prevail in an interference.

If you want to show your inventions to others without filing for a patent, then you might consider a nondisclosure agreement. Note that if you do decide to get a patent after seeing a favorable reaction at the show, you only have 1 year to file after the first public disclosure.

I am not a lawyer, and I do not play one on TV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">