• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting Company Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Glasser

I registered my company name in my home state several years ago. I make items for sale. I recently discovered that a company in another state has begun selling materials under the same name as my company. These materials are used to make the same items I make. I also have learned that many people who have tried these materials find them to be an inferior product. The other company registered the name as their trademark, however they did so more than a year after I registered the name with my state. Do I have the right to protect the name since I was using it well before they registered it? I have contacted them to find out when they actually started using the name but have received no reply. Since in my case the name represents my quality completed work and in theirs it represents materials, does that constitute a conflicting use? BTW, they do sell/distribute the materials to retailers in my state so they are available in the same geographic region, if that matters. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">