• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting an idea which is NOT a Product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mcilroyp

What is the name of your state? New York

Is it possible to protect/Patent an idea which is not stricly speaking a product.

This relates to a unique service/concept which I intend to create online.

Thanks.

racer72

Ideas cannot be patented. Put your idea on paper and call it a business plan. Then be prepared to spend $1000 to $10,000 doing your research to obtain a patent. You can do a patent search yourself or the US Patent Office will do it for you, at $800 an hour.

M

mcilroyp

racer72 said:
Ideas cannot be patented. Put your idea on paper and call it a business plan. Then be prepared to spend $1000 to $10,000 doing your research to obtain a patent. You can do a patent search yourself or the US Patent Office will do it for you, at $800 an hour.
THanks for the reply: I'm a little unclear though.
You say "ideas can not be patented" but then to "obtain a patent" once I have a business plan.

Does this mean that in some way a business plan acts as a 'product' which can be patented?

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">