• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting Idea when using a developers' software

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

printwows

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I wanted to develop a software program to handle a niche market. However, I stumbled upon a shareware software that had all the features I could ever want to include so I approached the developer (located in NY) about using their software with my idea. I didn't reveal the idea only gave general information about how it would be used.

He proposed to allow me to use the software and pay him a per CD fee (we agree upon). He will need to modify the Company Name, and maybe add some of my graphics into the program.

-My concern is once I tell him how I will use the software in order for him to make the changes can I prevent him for taking that information and using it for himself to compete with me or allowing his other licensed user of the software from doing so

-I want to have exclusive right to market my idea using his software

I've asked him to sign a non disclosure statement agreeing that he will not compete with me, make a version of the software using my idea for others and will keep my information confidential for a period of 3 years. After that time we will renegotiate. (I haven't had the paper drawn up yet I just told him what I propose)

Is this enough? Would he have rights to my idea once he includes it in his software or when we part company will I be able to make him distroy the contents and not use my idea?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">