• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting my Lessons and Book

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LittleGreenDots

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI.

I am a self-employed music teacher and I create all my own lesson materials for my clients, quite a few sheets actually. Many music teachers use published text books. I want to protect ALL my lesson materials.

Also, I am writing a book (music) and want to protect that as well. It will include much of my teaching materials.

I am financially challenged.

What is the cheapest way to go about this? Can I do this on my own without a lawyer?

swalsh411

Copyrighting a creative work (aka "forms of expression") is automatic when it is "fixed" in a tangible form for the first time. Registration is not required but may be helpful if you wish to pursue potential infringement.

The strain on your finances would not come from the act of copyrighting itself but rather pursing somebody who violates it.

To say that copyrighting your work "protects" it from copying is like saying putting a padlock on a shed door "protects" it from being broken into. To a determined person, neither is much of an obstacle or deterrent.

FlyingRon

Hopefully the music you are embodying is your own creation or work (usually sufficiently old to be) in the public domain. If not, you're doing to others what you are attempting to prevent from happening to you.

As pointed out you have to do NOTHING other than fix your work on paper (or other tangible form) to have copyright in the US. You can defer registration and deposit if you want. While it is by no means required, marking your work "Copyright 2010 LittleGreenDots" will let others be clear that you intend to protect the work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">