• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Publishing information learned in a classroom setting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bruce Ogilvie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I attended a series of drumming workshops specializing in traditional African rhythms taught by African instructors.
They permit audio recording of the class. I have not signed any waiver or consent forms in attending these workshops.
Some of the material is the ancient traditional rhythm and some is/are embellishments created by the instructor.
Do I have the right to reproduce and sell the information in written notation form or is that the property of the instructor?
Bruce

quincy

Is it the music you wish to reproduce or the drumming workshop material?

The best way to find out if reproducing any of the material is allowable (whether music with embellishments, workshop lectures, both) could be to ask your instructor.

I suspect that the audio tapes were for the personal use of the students only and not intended for reproduction, distribution and/or sale by any student.

Bruce Ogilvie

Is it the music you wish to reproduce or the drumming workshop material?

The best way to find out if reproducing any of the material is allowable (whether music with embellishments, workshop lectures, both) could be to ask your instructor.

I suspect that the audio tapes were for the personal use of the students only and not intended for reproduction, distribution and/or sale by any student.

My goal is to transcribe the audio recordings into their notation form so others can learn the rhythm. I would want to sell those copies.

quincy

My goal is to transcribe the audio recordings into their notation form so others can learn the rhythm. I would want to sell those copies.
There would be no problem transcribing traditional African rhythms. This is public domain material. What would/could be copyright-protected are the embellishments added to the traditional rhythms by your instructor, and the selection of rhythms compiled for the workshops.

You might have to collect your own set of rhythms, perhaps incorporating some of those used on the audio recording (minus embellishments), so that you do not infringe on any copyright-protectable material.

If you plan on marketing the transcriptions (and there is definitely a market for traditional African rhythms and song), you may find that sitting down with an attorney in your area to review the facts is smart - or you could simply approach your instructor and ask his permission to use the collection from the workshop (with or without embellishments), letting him know you wish to market the rhythms in transcribed form.

Bruce Ogilvie

There would be no problem transcribing traditional African rhythms. This is public domain material. What would/could be copyright-protected are the embellishments added to the traditional rhythms by your instructor, and the selection of rhythms compiled for the workshops.

You might have to collect your own set of rhythms, perhaps incorporating some of those used on the audio recording (minus embellishments), so that you do not infringe on any copyright-protectable material.

If you plan on marketing the transcriptions (and there is definitely a market for traditional African rhythms and song), you may find that sitting down with an attorney in your area to review the facts is smart - or you could simply approach your instructor and ask his permission to use the collection from the workshop (with or without embellishments), letting him know you wish to market the rhythms in transcribed form.
Thanks for the feedback, I will follow that suggestion.
Bruce

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">