• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about copyright laws on videos for youtube

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eeyo Onson

for a corporate video can I get away with putting a loose remix of a very popular song in the audio?
IF NOT, please copy and paste the copyright laws on inserting music in videos for online viewing. I know they are rapidly changing but I cant find them anywhere. ALSO where would the liability fall??? In the company that made the video or corporate posting it? Just editing this project and need to know asap. Thanks!

tranquility

Not unless it is fair use. Look up the term. Then cut and paste all the case law and statutes and law review articles you find in your next post to help the future.

FlyingRon

You're not going to find a law that says what you are allowed or not allowed to do for online viewing. The base copyright law says you can't use other people's protected works. Fair use provides for certain exceptions to that.

Using someone else's music as a backing to your commercial video isn't fair use in any sense of the word. You will need synchronization rights from the original author. It doesn't matter if you make your own version of it or cut up and existing recording (but in the latter you also need the master rights to the recording).

If you play that video other than YouTube (which has already covered with the PROs) you will need to make sure you secure performance rights as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">