• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about lyrics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danovotny

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Hey,

This question pertains ONLY to lyrics, not the music of a song. My problem is that I want to use 3 lines of lyric from a song (written with copyright in 1934), but the person wrote them died in 1972. Is it ok to use them? I've tried to find any contacts that might have picked up the rights, but haven't had any success. Any ideas?

H

hexeliebe

lyrics are sometimes copyrighted apart from the music of a work of art and as such would not necessarily be owned by the same person/firm.

Do a copyright search or ask a patent/copyright attorney to conduct the search for you. Yes, it's expensive, but less so than having a hit and paying all your profits to the rightful owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">