• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about original song performance protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Preacher

I'm from Arkansas

Hello. My name is Jared, and I have several good songs that I have registered with the copyright office. I was wondering what the basic rules were on song performance protection.

Say I perform my song "Mama Tried" and someone hears it and goes to another state and changes a few lines and makes it a hit? How could I prove that I performed my song in public? and is it enough to just play gigs, or do I have to get on the raido for protection. Any help would be much appreciated.

I want to feel open to share my gifts. But I also want to be wise in my dealings because I feel I have a hit or two.

Thank you so much.

Jared

:)

C

CaliCat

Tape the songs, put them in a box and seal it, mail them to yourself, and stick them in a safe deposit box and don't open it unless you need to go to court. This will show that you had the songs befre someone else.

Remember Vanilla Ice? He was sued for "sampling," using just a few measures of melody from another song, and he lost. YOU own the lyrics, YOU own the melody. In part or entirety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">