• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about using brand names in book

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trent2275

What is the name of your state? NY

I am helping someone write a how-to book on a subject, and we kind of need to use brand names in the process. Is this legal if I use a disclaimer stating who owns the copyright/trademark? Thanks.

divgradcurl

I am helping someone write a how-to book on a subject, and we kind of need to use brand names in the process. Is this legal if I use a disclaimer stating who owns the copyright/trademark?
Brand names are covered by trademarks, not copyrights. If the use of a trademark is purely descriptive -- An "IBM PC" or a "Dell Laptop" -- and not used in any way that it implies sponsorship by the trademark holder or any other relationship with the trademark holder, then it is okay to use the trademark. Typically, you would make sure to add the "R" in a circle after any federally-registered mark, and "TM" after any mark that is not federally registered.

In addition, many larger companys will have a trademark usage policy on their corporate website -- if they do, that will tell you exactly how each trademark holder wants to see their mark used by someone else. Although the above rules will pretty much keep you in the clear, if a company has a usage policy, you should follow it to ensure you won't get into any trouble down the line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">