• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question... can I use a likeness of the exterior of a house in my illustration...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michaela Lee

What is the name of your state? CA

I am an artist. I am hoping to get my children's story published. I have never tried to publish anything before, so I wasn't sure who to ask. :) I was wondering if it was alright for me to use the likeness of a house in my story. I took a photo of a victorian home, and used the photo to paint the house in my book. I am not sure whether or not it is a historical society sponsored home. My painting is nearly identical to the photograph. Do I need the home owner's permission?

Thank you,

MichaelaWhat is the name of your state?

quincy

You should be fine using the drawing of the Victorian house in your book, as long as it is an original drawing of an original photo taken by you.

Copyright statutes allow anyone to take photographs of buildings visible from a public place. There are some areas where architectural works are protected by copyright, however. The actual architectural plans and specifications are copyrighted, and certain artistic elements of a building may be copyrighted (think sculptural elements).

Good luck with your book! :)

Michaela Lee

Great! Thanks that definately makes me feel better, since I already completed the work :) Thanks so much for your advice and quick reply. Have a wonderful day!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">