• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on copyright rules and photocopying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
I am a landlord. I purchased a new refrigerator and had it delivered to the rental. After it was delivered I took the manual to Kinko's to make a copy because I don't trust getting manuals back from tenants. Kinko's refused to allow me to make the copy because I didn't have written permission from the copyright holder.

Is there an exception to the copyright rules that would apply to what I was trying to do?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
I am a landlord. I purchased a new refrigerator and had it delivered to the rental. After it was delivered I took the manual to Kinko's to make a copy because I don't trust getting manuals back from tenants. Kinko's refused to allow me to make the copy because I didn't have written permission from the copyright holder.

Is there an exception to the copyright rules that would apply to what I was trying to do?
Kinkos seems to be overreacting a bit. Its not illegal to make a copy for your own use. You can try somewhere else or even buy yourself a desktop copier so that you don't have to rely on Kinko's when you need copies.

Stephen1

LdiJ: I did find a friendlier source for photocopying (and continue to use that location over Kinkos). For some older appliances that came with the purchase of a rental I usually find the manuals on-line. But I just feel the need to instantly (or close to that) provide a manual for a new appliance. The appliances that need instant manuals are ranges and dishwashers and washing machines. The refrigerator probably could have waited a day.

quincy

LdiJ, can you please cite for me the source that says you can copy written material if it is for your own use? I haven't heard of that exception to the copyright law.

Kinko's may be especially careful about copying material that belongs to others. They were involved in a rather well-known and costly lawsuit for doing just that. They lost. ;)

If you need extra manuals, the company making the product will supply them (generally upon request for free).

Last edited:

Mnemosyne

If you need extra manuals, the company making the product will supply them (generally upon request for free).
Some manufacturers even make digital copies of their owner's manuals available online. Try Googling the make and model number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">