• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question on obtaining a provisional patent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cafterlife

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have an idea for a product that I'd like to patent, but before I begin that process, I have a couple questions that I need answered. Do I need a working prototype of my invention in order to obtain the patent? If I do (this is an invention that should be fairly easy to produce, but I lack the technical know-how myself and would have to seek help in developing the prototype), how do I protect my idea once I approach somebody about assisting me in it's development?

divgradcurl

As long as you can describe your invention in a detailed enough manner so that someone "skilled in the art" could practice your invention, you do not need to have a working prototype to file for a patent. "Enablement" can be shown through either actual reduction to practice, that is, a working prototype, or constructive reduction to practice, which is the "enabling disclosure," or simply the detailed description that allows one to practice the invention.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">