• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To RAKESH15 re. your deleted thread

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

You appear to have deleted your thread about how a forum will not let you delete your posts or threads after 24 hours.

Many forums have policies similar to this. The posts and threads often become the property of the website owner once published on the site. You can read the Terms of Service to determine if you have given the website control over your rights in the postings - most sites have terms of service that do (read the terms of service for FreeAdvice, for example).

It is often possible to have old threads or posts deleted from a website if you contact the website administrator with a good reason for the deletions. FreeAdvice, for example, has a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of every page and posters to this site can always send a message to the administrators with their questions or concerns.

As a note, however: Even if a website removes what you have posted, an internet cache may have (probably has) preserved it.

While it is always worth it to ask, a website owner is under no legal obligation to remove material from a site without a court order to do so.

Last edited:

RAKESH15

Sir,
where is my original post?

Sir, you missed the point. Pl. re-read my post.

I want to delete my all of the posts contributed to that forum, and by requesting the ADMIN is not doing that.
Their rules ( Code of conduct ) never says that, it all becomes forum's property.

Can i sue them and force to delete my all of the posts?

If it is their own property now,.. can someone else sue me later,.... on the basis of the contect of those my posts, for some reaon?

quincy

Sir,

I want to delete my all of the posts contributed to that forum, and by requesting the ADMIN is not doing that.
Their rules ( Code of conduct ) never says that, it all becomes forum's property.

If it is their own property now,.. can someone else sue me later,.... on the basis of the contect of those my posts, for some reaon?
I can't reread your original thread because it has been deleted, if not by you then by someone else.

You cannot force a website to remove posts you have contributed to that forum, absent a court order, especially if you have agreed to the terms of service before posting and the terms of service indicate the site has all rights in the content posted.

Someone could sue you over posts you created on that website. That is why it is important when posting online to carefully consider your words before posting, so that you do not defame anyone, invade anyone's privacy, or infringe on any rights-holder's rights.

The website is (generally) not held liable because of the Communications Decency Act Section 230, which provides an immunity to sites that host material but do not assist in the creation of the material, and because of the DMCA, which provides a webhost with a "safe harbor" from suit by removing infringing material upon notice.

You would not, in other words, be able to sue a website that hosts material and expect much of a chance of success.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sir,

If you are in the US then no. You can sue them if you want to, but you will lose. There is no law anywhere in the US you can invoke that will force them to delete your posts. If they don't want to delete your posts, there is nothing whatsoever you can do that will force them to.

quincy

If you are in the US then no. You can sue them if you want to, but you will lose. There is no law anywhere in the US you can invoke that will force them to delete your posts. If they don't want to delete your posts, there is nothing whatsoever you can do that will force them to.
From what I could read of the thread before its deletion, the U.S. states are Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Proserpina

I reported the original since it contained a link that essentially looked like seed spam.

(not that it matters now - I just wanted to clarify)

quincy

I reported the original since it contained a link that essentially looked like seed spam.

(not that it matters now - I just wanted to clarify)
Ahh. Thanks.

I thought perhaps RAKESH15 was making some sort of a statement about deleting threads. :D

RAKESH15

Thanks for your all’s patience, hearing, assistance , support, cooperation and eagerness to help.
but the problem is very serious,.. and If I am not here to spam and troll ( which I swear, I am not ) this is the actual story.

On one forum, ( forum owner is in India, using V-Bulletin )
( Forum category – returning to India for abroad living Indians and financé and tax assistance... etc )
a member who had about 6000+ posts, now says he has hired a lawyer ( I guess, this member guy is in USA )
and is to force you / sue you ( to the forum admin ), to delete all of his posts on the forum,
as he thinks it’ s his belongings, and somewhere in the CoC, it was not clearly mentioned that Forum owns the posts after it being posted.

Forum owner is now confused and he is not doing anything,
as in case even if he deleted, later for jurisdiction and court-case he may perhaps be required to show, what was there and what was deleted.

Now this matter is serious and perhaps Sr. members’ help
may not be suffice, as it needs
A real real real attorney’s help who knows the real laws,…under so and so sanctions

As everyone has done so far much much digging, and extending their opinions, all they can,… But it needs a REAL lawyer’s words.

( R2I means returning to India , for foreign livings Indians especially in the USA, to settle back there in India )

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Thanks for your alls patience, hearing, assistance , support, cooperation and eagerness to help.
but the problem is very serious,.. and If I am not here to spam and troll ( which I swear, I am not ) this is the actual story.

On one forum, ( forum owner is in India, using V-Bulletin )
( Forum category returning to India for abroad living Indians and financ and tax assistance... etc )
a member who had about 6000+ posts, now says he has hired a lawyer ( I guess, this member guy is in USA )
and is to force you / sue you ( to the forum admin ), to delete all of his posts on the forum,
as he thinks its his belongings, and somewhere in the CoC, it was not clearly mentioned that Forum owns the posts after it being posted.

Forum owner is now confused and he is not doing anything,
as in case even if he deleted, later for jurisdiction and court-case he may perhaps be required to show, what was there and what was deleted.

Now this matter is serious and perhaps Sr. members help
may not be suffice, as it needs
A real real real attorneys help who knows the real laws, under so and so sanctions

As everyone has done so far much much digging, and extending their opinions, all they can, But it needs a REAL lawyers words.

( R2I means returning to India , for foreign livings Indians especially in the USA, to settle back there in India )

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Your links were removed by the moderators on this site, RAKESH15, but the rest of your post remains.

Because the site you are concerned about is hosted in India, the laws of India will apply. The Terms of Service of the R2I site, however, are clear that in registering and posting to the site you "irrevocably" transfer publication rights and decisions to R2I. The TOS states: "You grant us royalty-free, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive permission to publish, use or edit your entry or any media in any way deemed appropriate by us."

The TOS also says: "Assume that what you publish on the Web is permanent."

That said, you have the ability to contact the administrators of the site to request deletion of your threads and/or posts. It is up to them whether to grant your request.

If this is a problem that concerns you and postings you made to that site, or legal concerns the site administrators have about the postings, and it is "very serious," an international lawyer can be contacted to assist with Indian law.

Or, if this is about your postings and you are located in Pennsylvania or in Maryland, and you are being threatened with a lawsuit over what you posted in the forum, and the person threatening suit is also located in the U.S., you can discuss the matter with an attorney in your area. I recommend you consult with an attorney in your area if you receive a summons and complaint, indicating a lawsuit has been filed against you.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">