• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recorded concert

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pete28

Washington State

In 1979, I tape recorded a concert by a well-known band presented to a traditional jazz (Dixieland) club, of which I was a member. Recently I decided to remaster my tapes with a computer program and convert them to CD. The results were so good that I think the product is marketable to people who like this kind of music.

It was common for people attending concerts like this one to bring along portable tape recorders and record the music where they sat in the audience. No statements were ever made, either by club officers or by .performing bands , that recording was prohibited, and there was no interference with bringing in tape recorders. There was no club policy at all on recording visiting bands.

Will I need permission or licensing from the band or the jazz club to market this product?

C

ChicagoLawyer

Yes you need permission. Where audience taping is involved, the taping is allowed for personal use of the taper only. Commercial use would require the permission of the artist(s).

This response is intended as general information only and does not constitute as legal advice or form any attorney/client relationship

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">