• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recorded my High School concert, selling CDs in school...Copyright infiringement??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bassdude1110

I'm a sophmore in high school in Pennsylvania, and I recently recorded my school's Band/Chorus Christmas Concert. The recordings sounded excellent, and I've made plans to sell copies of the CDs, though it would be exclusively within the school.

Would this be some sort of copyright infringement on the publishers of the Sheet Music? (I'm referring to the publishers of the physical, printed papers with notes, read by the musicians/singers....not the writers/arrangers of the music. Just some clarification to help.)

Apparently, buying the sheet music (which is NOT expensive) gives the band the right to publicly perform the music.

The information I've been able to find so far is rather vague, and somewhat inconsistent. I've heard of a certain cent-per-song/minute royalty that must be paid, but also a restriction if it isnt "public sales" and if less that 1000 copies are produced.

Regardless of the answer, please don't "dumb it down" just because i'm a high-schooler. If i'm not intelligent enough to understand a response, the I wouldn't have given a thought about copyright infringement. :D

Does anybody have a solution to my dilemma?
Please post ASAP, and Happy Holidays!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">