• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recorded Voice Likeness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MamaDawn

I recorded the telephone greeting for the company I worked for. When they laid me off they said that they did not have to change it, with or without my permission. It is a 15 minute likeness of my voice and I would like it changed. Is this copyright infringement?

It was explained at the time of recording that they "could use" my likeness until the day/time I left the company, when I left it would leave to.

Can they legally do this?

racer72

You were an employee at the time you made the recording and were compensated. The recording now belongs to your ex employer. Only recording artists registered with BMI or ASCAP carry copyright protection for recordings. You have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">