• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording amateur Karaoke

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

castagat

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I am planning to start a small business recording customers singing to a karaoke CD track. I understand I need a blanket license from ASCAP and also a mechanical recording license. I searched the Harry Fox site and for small productions (less than 2500 copies) you are referred to www.song.com for an online registration. Unfortunately the song.com contract form states that license will be paid for a minimum of 500 copies (8cts. per copy makes 42$) way above the market price of this type of recordings (about 20$ a shot). I only need license for one copy at a time. Since this is not a new business (many other people are doing it), is my aproach wrong? I am willing to pay the 8cts. a song, plus ASCAP, but 42$ per song seems unreasonable. I contacted the manufacturers of the Karaoke records and their quotes (some of them) are outrageous (in the range of 100-200$). Any help will be mostly appreciated.
Regards,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">