• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reebok Trademark Threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nscr_99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I recently purchased several sports jerseys for resale from a website that stated they were authentic. I even went on Ebay’s and Reebok’s site to try and find any information to assist me in determining their authenticity. There was no such info. After listing some of these on Ebay and selling a few of them, Ebay pulled all of my listings after Reebok stated they violated their trademark rights. Now, Reebok’s legal counsel is sending me threatening emails and letters demanding that I cease & desist the resale of counterfeit product, send them any jerseys I still have, and send them a check for $950 for damages and fee’s.

I responded to the letter stating that if they were counterfeit, how am I supposed to know? They said Reebok’s so-called “experts” determined this by the generic pictures I used. How could they do so from generic pictures alone? Nowhere in the title or description of the listings did I state their company name so it had to be by the pictures alone. Their legal counsel refuses to tell me what specific factors in the picture they used in their determination. If I had known they were counterfeit, I would have never purchased them for myself, let alone for resale. I also had no intent to violate anyone’s rights.

Do they have a right to send me such a letter? If they do try and sue me, do they have to prove I knowingly sold counterfeit product (I truly did not)? And do they have to prove intent to cause confusion?

Also, they have my full name, home address, and email address which they could have only gotten from Ebay. Does Ebay have a right to give this personal and private information to them without a subpoena or my knowledge? And if they say they did get a subpoena, do I have a right to ask for prove of such?

Any information or assistance is appreciated.

Thank You,

Michael

The Occultist

Unfortunately, no intent is required in such a suit.

My advice is for you to sit down with an attorney versed in such law. The attorney will be able to look at the product, read the letter(s) you've been sent, and be able to give you the best advice possible for the situation.

divgradcurl

Do they have a right to send me such a letter? If they do try and sue me, do they have to prove I knowingly sold counterfeit product (I truly did not)? And do they have to prove intent to cause confusion?
As noted above, trademark infringement does not require intentional conduct. Proof of intentional conduct can make things worse, however.

Also, they have my full name, home address, and email address which they could have only gotten from Ebay. Does Ebay have a right to give this personal and private information to them without a subpoena or my knowledge? And if they say they did get a subpoena, do I have a right to ask for prove of such?
What does Ebay's user agreements say? A subpoena is only required if you want to get information from someone and they refuse to give it. Anyone can ask anyone else for information, and if the person or entity willingly hands over the info, no subpoena needed. Subpoenas exist to compel testimony or information.

Plus, you generally cannot issue a subpoena until a lawsuit has been filed, so most likely Ebay willingly handed over the information. Read up on Ebay's Vero program for more information.

FlyingRon

Ebay will roll over and give up your personal information when a VeRO complaint is filed. You should have been given reciprocal info about the complaining party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">