• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release Forms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

ftjakson

I am curious as to the validity of release forms. I am an actor by trade and am frequently asked to sign a release form releasing me from any right to pursue monentary compensation for contributions and collaborations. I have never signed these agreements as I value my intellectual property. How binding are the agreements (I have posted a sample agreement below) Should I created a counter agreement and have it signed before working on collaborations? or should I just stay the course and not sign anything the requests exclusive use of my ideas?

I understand that you will be writing a book, script, monologue or series of monologues which you wish to use in connection with a dramatic production whose subject will be male related issues (the "Project"), and that you wish to (i) interview me for the Project, (ii) have me attend and/or participate in discussions, workshops, showcases or readings (together, “Meetings”) regarding the Project, and/or (iii) have me submit stories or other writings (together, “Writings”) which relate to the Project.

I agree to be interviewed, and with regard to any interview, Writing or Meeting I attend I agree to your use of the Writing or my comments or performances as quoted or derived from the interview, Meeting or Writing, and any other information I may provide to you. You may use the foregoing at any time in the writing, production, exhibition, staging, advertising or promotion of the Project (including its broadcast on television, in theaters, on-line or in other media, whether or not now existing, and in any spin-offs of the Project), and in any publications (whether in print, on-line or in any other media, whether or not now existing), in any language worldwide. You may edit or use the results of the interviews (or my comments) or Writings as you wish; provided that, while you may use or publish my state of residence, age and/or occupation, and other information regarding me, my name and likeness will not be used in the Project without my written consent.

I also agree that you may tape or otherwise record my interviews, including by phone, or any Meetings I attend, and I agree to keep strictly confidential any information I may learn regarding the Project (including any proposed or actual title for the Project).

I will not have any right, title or interest in the Project or the results of any interviews or Meetings (and I will not be due any payments in respect of the rights I am granting you hereunder or have any rights with respect to the Project), and you shall own all right, title and interest (including copyrights) in the foregoing, as well as any Writing I submit to you (and I hereby assign all of the foregoing to you). So long as you comply with the conditions of this letter I will not bring any claims of any kind against you or anyone else as a result of your use of the interviews, Writings or results of the Meetings, whether in connection with the Project or otherwise. I also agree that you may assign any of the above rights to any party provided they agree to abide by the conditions of this letter.

___________________ ___________________
Name (please print) (signature)

C

counsel

Release forms may be binding, if worded properly.

If you are bringing your own screenplay or script ideas to a project, then you would want to prepare a non-disclosure agreement to protect your ideas from being stolen. Otherwise, I don't see any need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">