• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Remixes Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aceendeavors

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I am a dj. I get a lot of my music from remix sites online, at sites like Crooklyn Clan, that have a disclaimer upon entering that states

CrooklynClan.net is a re mixing service designed for use mainly by performance DJ's. The re mixes contained on CrooklynClan.net are produced by professional DJ's and music producers from around the globe for the sole purpose of enhancing A DJ's overall performance.

By clicking "I Agree" you certify that you are a working DJ and will use the material obtained on CrooklynClan.net for the sole purpose of enhancing your DJ performance and will NOT sell, resell, or redistribute any of the files acquired within this web site.

Furthermore, before purchasing any of the re mixes on CrooklynClan.net, you certify that you are already in possession of the original works contained within the remixed composition(S) respectively.

BY CLICKING "I AGREE" BELOW, YOU ARE AGREEING TO THE TERMS SET ABOVE

There are other sites that have similar disclaimers.

My question is....

Are these remixes copy written? My understanding is that these remixes are free, you are just paying for the producers time in creating the remix. I know that these remixers do not have permission from the labels. Yet the sites are striving....
How can they do this, and can I get into trouble if I shared these remixes? Or if I sold some CD's with these on it? Or even a hard drive?

If these track are "technically" free, there are no copyrights to them, correct? Then it would be safe to say that I can get paid for my time in acquire, organizing, tagging, etc. etc.

Please help me understand this better?

Similar sites.... YourRemix.com: Welcome, Extreme Remixes,

justalayman

Are these remixes copy written?
yes but more importantly, so is the original work.

My understanding is that these remixes are free, you are just paying for the producers time in creating the remix.
irrelevant

I know that these remixers do not have permission from the labels.
how do you know that?

How can they do this, and can I get into trouble if I shared these remixes?
I don't know and absolutely

Or if I sold some CD's with these on it? Or even a hard drive?
yes and yes

If these track are "technically" free, there are no copyrights to them, correct?
wrong. all art (music, drawings, paintings, writings, etc) have copyrights by virtue of their creation.

Then it would be safe to say that I can get paid for my time in acquire, organizing, tagging, etc. etc.
no. Even if the folks that you are getting the music from have the legal rights to do what they are doing, if you will notice, they specifically restrict the use. They may have purchased a license to do what they do and as such, are allowed to share as they are. That does not give any user the right to do anything other than what they specifically allow.

I suspect they do not have a license that would allow them to share the music as they are due to the agreement that you must state you already have the original music in your possession. If you do own the original music, you can make a mix from it. Basically, they are, for all intents and purposes, making a remix using your music and because this is only for pro DJ's, they are presuming you have the proper licensing to be able to use the music you own in a public venue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">