• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reproduction of UIO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ApatheticApache

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Tennessee
Can an Unidentifiable Inanimate Object be reproduced for sale? The form would be identical albeit in a different medium/material. The object in question has no identifying information, is likely antique, and would also be used for a different purpose than the original. Small numbers at first but if it takes off, I want my bases covered.:cool:

FlyingRon

You have to give me an example of what you are talking about. If the item was some creative aspect for it, that expression is likely protected by copyright (subject to the duration aspects of the law). Of course, if it's covered by patent, its operation is also protected (again subject to the duration of the patent). Sine design aspects (like a coke bottle shape) may rise to the level of trademark protection (which can go on indefinitely if the owner uses it in commerce). If you're talking about copying some piece of colonial furniture, sure have at it. If you're talking about something more modern, etc... you'll have to explain what it is.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Tennessee
Can an Unidentifiable Inanimate Object be reproduced for sale? The form would be identical albeit in a different medium/material. The object in question has no identifying information, is likely antique, and would also be used for a different purpose than the original. Small numbers at first but if it takes off, I want my bases covered.:cool:
Almost all objects that have been created by someone can be identified. Your first task will be to identify the object and/or its age to determine if any rights exist that could prohibit your reproduction of the object and the sale of the reproduction to others.

If you are reluctant for some reason to disclose many facts about this object to others on a public forum, you should seek out assistance from a professional in your area.

ApatheticApache

Almost all objects that have been created by someone can be identified. Your first task will be to identify the object and/or its age to determine if any rights exist that could prohibit your reproduction of the object and the sale of the reproduction to others.

If you are reluctant for some reason to disclose many facts about this object to others on a public forum, you should seek out assistance from a professional in your area.
It is a small rubber (vinyl?) statue of a child. It's kinda cartoonish. No manufacturing marks, leads me to believe it's antique. I have searched the internet for a similar object, to no avail.

ApatheticApache

You have to give me an example of what you are talking about. If the item was some creative aspect for it, that expression is likely protected by copyright (subject to the duration aspects of the law). Of course, if it's covered by patent, its operation is also protected (again subject to the duration of the patent). Sine design aspects (like a coke bottle shape) may rise to the level of trademark protection (which can go on indefinitely if the owner uses it in commerce). If you're talking about copying some piece of colonial furniture, sure have at it. If you're talking about something more modern, etc... you'll have to explain what it is.
It is a small rubber (vinyl?) statue of a child. It's kinda cartoonish. No manufacturing marks, leads me to believe it's antique. I have searched the internet for a similar object, to no avail. I believe it was commercially produced but**************.

FlyingRon

Absent markings, it would likely have to be produced later than the sixties to have copyright protection. Unless it rises to the level of some recognizable trademark (like a Disney character, for example), then you are probably OK.

quincy

It is a small rubber (vinyl?) statue of a child. It's kinda cartoonish. No manufacturing marks, leads me to believe it's antique. I have searched the internet for a similar object, to no avail. I believe it was commercially produced but**************.
The lack of identifying marks may or may not mean it is an antique. Many antiques are marked.

I think you need to do a better search for the manufacturer of the statue before going ahead and reproducing the statue for commercial sale. Even if not protected under copyright laws, mass produced items will generally have a trademark holder somewhere.

In other words, I am not ready to give you the assurances that FlyingRon is giving you without knowing far more than what we know.

ApatheticApache

Absent markings, it would likely have to be produced later than the sixties to have copyright protection. Unless it rises to the level of some recognizable trademark (like a Disney character, for example), then you are probably OK.
Not a Disney or any known character. I thought I would be okay due to the obscurity,age, and lack of manufacturing marks but you know what they say....ass/u/me. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

ApatheticApache

The lack of identifying marks may or may not mean it is an antique. Many antiques are marked.

I think you need to do a better search for the manufacturer of the statue before going ahead and reproducing the statue for commercial sale. Even if not protected under copyright laws, mass produced items will generally have a trademark holder somewhere.

In other words, I am not ready to give you the assurances that FlyingRon is giving you without knowing far more than what we know.
Understood, thank you.

quincy

I received an email from a family member with pictures. It was manufactured in the 50's. That is all that is known
You will still need to find out who manufactured the item - and it helps to know for what purpose the item was manufactured and where the item was manufactured.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">