• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reproduction without Permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thestone

There is an out of print book that I want to use to teach a class in a non-profit organization/church. There is no where I can purchase the book for the students and I cannot contact to publisher (their line is disconnected) to get permission to make copies. How can I safely make copies from the book that I have to distribute to the students since I cannot contact the publisher about getting their permission?

FlyingRon

Just because the publisher on the copy you have doesn't appear to be in business doesn't mean the copyrights went away. Either there is a successor company or the author has retained the rights.

HawaiiSteve

Educational Use?

I thought that one of the exceptions for reproducing copyrighted materials is if it's for Educational use, and doesn't require the permission of the author. Yes? No?

quincy

I thought that one of the exceptions for reproducing copyrighted materials is if it's for Educational use, and doesn't require the permission of the author. Yes? No?
It depends.

Under the guidelines for fair use of copyrighted materials is a use of the materials for educational purposes. But fair use is not an absolute right to copy copyrighted materials for educational purposes. Fair use is an affirmative defense to the use of copyrighted materials only and will be decided by a court.

Rarely would making a complete copy of a copyrighted work be considered a fair use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">