• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revamped art work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hungrychemist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello, I'm glad to find a forum such as this. My problem is simple, but I can't find a good answer to it. Let me explain,

There's graphic novel which is copyrighted to its respected publishing company. The novel contains many characters and I myself drew them, slightly differently (caricature style). Now, I want to use these images I drew into iPhone app. Clearly, I didn't "invent" the characters, I only re-drew them according to my taste. I'm not going to publish another book or anything. I'm trying to create a iPhone game app using the drawing I have. Is this still violation to copyright?

If so, what's the best way to deal with this issue if I can't simply give up on using my drawings?

I hope my questions make sense to you guys. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello, I'm glad to find a forum such as this. My problem is simple, but I can't find a good answer to it. Let me explain,

There's graphic novel which is copyrighted to its respected publishing company. The novel contains many characters and I myself drew them, slightly differently (caricature style). Now, I want to use these images I drew into iPhone app. Clearly, I didn't "invent" the characters, I only re-drew them according to my taste. I'm not going to publish another book or anything. I'm trying to create a iPhone game app using the drawing I have. Is this still violation to copyright?

If so, what's the best way to deal with this issue if I can't simply give up on using my drawings?

I hope my questions make sense to you guys. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ask for permission...
If they don't give it, then you're out of luck. Perhaps you should invent your own stuff...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">