• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

risks and rights regarding collage art

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chief Me

hello. i live in massachusetts. my dilema: i am a beginning artist and am having my first exhibition in providence, ri this february. I do collage art. i cut out images from a variety of sources and arrange them onto paper to create works of art. i cut and glue as the spirit moves me. i do not get permission. my eventual goals are to be featured in magazines and/or books. my immediate goals are to sell my work at exhibitions and enter art contests which may be published. collages have been around forever and i've never heard of anyone being sued over one being published or sold. i understand there is something called permitted use wihich may cover my situation. am i correct? will i get in trouble if i try to sell my work? and, should i copyright the collages themselves before i attempt to sell them? my show is coming up and this has been a hard situation to figure out. any and all input will be appreciated. thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">