• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scan images from a book for personal use? Is this okay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mooper Bear

I own some books which contain illustrations I would like to have scanned at high resolution then printed to frame and hang on my wall. Is this legal?
Thanks.

tranquility

Probably not. (Depending on the age of the book.) But, are you hosting a party for the copyright right enforcement engineers protective services (CREEPS) at your home?

justalayman

Probably not. (Depending on the age of the book.) But, are you hosting a party for the copyright right enforcement engineers protective services (CREEPS) at your home?

OP said something in his post that would make it unlikely he can do this:

I would like to have scanned at high resolution
If he is involving some company to scan the artwork, they would also incur liability for copyright infringement. A reputable company is not go along with breaking the law considering the possible penalties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">