• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Searcing to see if a company enforces their trademark

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jnr47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (National product)

Is there a way to see if a company has a history of opposing trademark registrations that may interfere with their trademark?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Is there a way to see if a company has a history of opposing trademark registrations that may interfere with their trademark?
www.google.com
www.bing.com

I'm sure there are tons more.

Zigner

I meant is there a way in the TESS system to search. I am aware of Google and Bing. Looking for more obscure databases I was unaware of.
Nobody is going to assist you in your research to find out if you can break the law and not get caught.

jnr47

Nobody is going to assist you in your research to find out if you can break the law and not get caught.
Lol, whatever.

Asking is there a tool to search a database is breaking the law? Here's an idea. Please stop posting in my threads. I have posted two questions in my entire life in this forum and both times you have replied with useless replies. If I want your useless and condescending opinion, I will PM you next time.

Zigner

Lol, whatever.

Asking is there a tool to search a database is breaking the law? Here's an idea. Please stop posting in my threads. I have posted two questions in my entire life in this forum and both times you have replied with useless replies. If I want your useless and condescending opinion, I will PM you next time.
Alrighty then.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Lol, whatever.

Alrighty then. :cool:

quincy

jnr47, if you still have plans to use the other apparel company's trademark, and you want to check to see if they have opposed the registration of same or similar names in the past, you can make use of the information provided on the United States Patent and Trademark Office's website.

You may wish to look at the final decisions made by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board on oppositions to trademark registrations. Opposition files are public records and you can either go to the TTAB's offices to find and copy them, or you can hire someone to find and copy them for you.

Or, if you are just interested in viewing decisions online, TTAB decisions from 1997 to the present are published and accessible from the home page: http://www.uspto.gov/index.jsp. You can also try http://e.foia.uspto.gov/Foia/TTABReadingRoom.jsp for internet listings.

If you have difficulty locating what you want, you can call the TTAB's customer service line at 571-272-8500 for direction.

As mentioned in your other thread, you may find it easier to come up with an alternate name for your apparel company, one that is unique to you alone (actually, as it turns out, that wasn't mentioned in your other thread. . . but it should have been :)).

Good luck.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Keep in mind that failing to find that they have previously opposed trademark infringements does NOT mean that they won't oppose yours.

It might even mean that no one has previously infringed.

quincy

Keep in mind that failing to find that they have previously opposed trademark infringements does NOT mean that they won't oppose yours.

It might even mean that no one has previously infringed.
It probably means no one else has previously tried to register a name already registered as a trademark in the same class. . . . .or thought to infringe on a registered name.

I understand how someone may think a particular name would be perfect for their company name but, seriously, it is just asking for legal woes if you use a trademark already in existence for your own like-company.

According to Oxford University Press, there are at least a quarter of a million English words. I am thinking it would not be an impossible task for someone to find one or two or a combination of two or more that have not been used already.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">