• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling homemade item on eBay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Harveytex

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have constructed and have been selling an item that was described in a magazine. The author of the magazine article informed me that I can't do that and threatened me with legal action. I backed down and removed the item from sale. Does he have a legal right to stop me from selling the item? It is not an exact duplicate but does use his theory of operation to make the item perform as it does. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

without knowing more about the product and what the original creator is claiming as his, no way to tell. One thing though is if the creator is willing to sue you, even if you win you will still expend a considerable amount of money to defend yourself.

FlyingRon

If it's protected by patent, you can't do it.
If you are infringing on his copyright, not only can't you do that, he doesn't have to take you to court. He makes a declaration that you're infringing to ebay and they'll poof your auctions.

We'd need more information.

Harveytex

Thanks for info

Thank you for the replies to my question. The item I was selling netted me about $15.00 each and I was selling only a couple a week. This activity obviously was not worth the risk of being sued. It was just something to fill some free time. I am retired, living on a close budget, and certainly not in a position to fight. Too bad as I was really having some fun with the project. Thanks again for the information.

Harveytex

Interesting suggestion

Thanks for the suggestion. I had never given that a thought. It certainly would keep me "happy" and put a few dollars in his pocket. I may just do that.

The Occultist

In case you were wondering, how little money you made off the project is largely irrelevant to how much money you could successfully be sued over. They can still get money out of you even if you didn't make a single penny off the project.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">