• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling Recipes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

Zeeks

What is the name of your state? Washington

My wife and I are looking into selling a compilation of recipes. Can we use printed recipes if we have only changed one of the ingredients? i.e. changing from all purpose flour to whole wheat flour....Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Zeeks said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

My wife and I are looking into selling a compilation of recipes. Can we use printed recipes if we have only changed one of the ingredients? i.e. changing from all purpose flour to whole wheat flour....Thanks

My response:

Boy, if I had a dime for every cook book on the market, I'd be wealthy - - - no, wait . . . I am wealthy!

Anyway, you don't need to change anything. Recipes for anything are not copyrightable or patentable or anything. You can literally copy someone else's recipe, verbatim, and print it in any book you want.

Did you know, the same thing goes for perfumes too?

IAAL

Reddman

I recently looked into this and learned that the list of ingredients is not copyrighted, but the instructions may be. (according to copyright.gov)

The safest thing would be to rewrite the instructions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">