• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling recordings #2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexMan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I paid to have some demos made of songs I wrote. The producer has granted me permission (via email) to sell the sound recordings. The two singers have granted permission as well, although one wants some extra money upfront. I don't know what agreement the musicians have with the producer--he did not indicate that they were due any royalties, but that their pay might have to be upgraded to Union Scale Pay (representing the change from demos to finished recordings).

Do emails constitute sufficient permission for me to sell these recordings? Or do I need the producer and singers to sign a legal document? If so, is there a standard document I can purchase, or do I need to hire a lawyer to do this?

Finally, the producer did mention producer's points, esp. if the sales were significant, more than a couple thousand. What constitutes producer's points? How many points would be standard/reasonable? I'm sure this needs to be agreed upon before anything is made available for sale.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">