• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

She thinks she can sue me...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dineen

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello!

I have a question that maybe someone can help with. An (ex)friend and I started a website together and I developed the ENTIRE website from design to code. She handled most of the textual content. Since the site was finished, she went ahead behind my back and incorporated the company in her name, trademarked the 'slogan' in her name and took all the money out of the business account that she put in HER name. I had no idea all of this was going on. I have since realized that there is definately something mentally wrong with her - hearing voices, screwing people over royally, saying that God talks to her, etc. (yikes).

I have since started a new website with the same concept, but definately improved, a different site design, and different name. I hear through the grapevine that she wants to sue because she thinks she 'owns' the idea!

Question 1 - Can she sue? She has no patent. She thinks that I can't take the idea, improve it and run with it.

She has also been sending out letters to clients whom were MINE from the old buisness and told them that she won't be doing business with them 'at this time'. She's also writing to tell them that QUOTE " the business officially closed and ANY breach of this or similar concept etc. of this is now copyright infringement, patent protected and it was already trademark protected as well."

Question 2: Can she do that?? We've just improved on the old business concept.

THANKS!!!
Dineen

JETX

Q1) "Can she sue?"
A1) Of course she can sue you. That is one of the 'liberties' that we have.... anyone can sue anyone else over practically anything.

Q2) "She has also been sending out letters to clients whom were MINE from the old buisness and told them that she won't be doing business with them 'at this time'. She's also writing to tell them that QUOTE " the business officially closed and ANY breach of this or similar concept etc. of this is now copyright infringement, patent protected and it was already trademark protected as well." Can she do that??"
A2) Again, of course she can. Send a letter to the former clients announcing your 'new' business and how they can contact you. Do NOT say anything derogatory or defamatory against the 'other' business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">