• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shopkins Reselling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lakrav

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,

I am able to purchase original, new in box, shopkins at a discounted price. I would like to resell these on Ebay. They are not copies. Is this OK to do or do I need to somehow contact the company to become an authorized reseller?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hi,

I am able to purchase original, new in box, shopkins at a discounted price. I would like to resell these on Ebay. They are not copies. Is this OK to do or do I need to somehow contact the company to become an authorized reseller?
How do you obtain the discount? It may affect your ability to resell the product.

FlyingRon

You can't advertise them as New if they've already been in the retail chain. Once you bought them they are used property even if they never were removed from the box.

Further, there's no possibility you can do this profitably if these are legitimate. A 20% margin isn't going to cover your costs on ebay. If they are being discounted to you more than that, I have severe doubts as to legitimacy.

quincy

Hi,

There are a lot of counterfeit Shopkins being sold in the US, many of these arriving in the US last summer before a couple of the factories in China that were making the fakes were closed down by Australian and US authorities. Moose Toys, the maker of Shopkins, is actively pursuing those selling the counterfeits online (for example, eBay) and in retail stores (for example, Thriftway). They are seizing the fakes and prosecuting the makers and sellers of these toys.

Before you risk reselling the boxes you have, I would check with Shopkins to ensure the ones you have are legitimate. Moose Toys can tell you what to look for on the packages (e.g. some colors used by the counterfeiters are not colors produced by Moose Toys).

You can contact Moose Toys at: http://www.moosetoys.com/about/contact

IF the boxes you purchased at a discount are NOT counterfeits, and you LEGALLY purchased the toys, you can resell them online. Under the US's First Sale Doctrine, legally purchased legal items can be resold (or traded or given away or thrown away).

After ensuring your Shopkins' are original Shopkins, you can say in your ad that the Shopkins are in their original boxes and have never been used (if this is true), and you can use the trademarks "Shopkins" and "Moose Toys." But both the trademark Moose Toys and the trademark Shopkins can ONLY be used to describe what you are selling. Do not imply in your ad that you are affiliated with Shopkins or Moose Toys.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Proserpina

oh God ... I feel like we've been infiltrated by the Swamp Family.

(you get points deducted for actually knowing to what and whom I'm referring ... hell, I hate that I know :D )

quincy

oh God ... I feel like we've been infiltrated by the Swamp Family.

(you get points deducted for actually knowing to what and whom I'm referring ... hell, I hate that I know :D )
Yay! No points deducted for me!! :)

Is the Swamp Family a Moose Toy? And is this Family one I should keep my kids from learning about?

Proserpina

Yay! No points deducted for me!! :)

Is the Swamp Family a Moose Toy? And is this Family one I should keep my kids from learning about?
I ... I can't.

You're too nice and helpful and just too good of a person, and I cannot subject you to the train wreck that is the Swamp Family.

Imagine a few million (I'm not kidding) manic tweens whose parents have completely failed in parenting, chasing you down online to attack you like you are shark bait. Well, gator bait, but you get the point.

:eek: :eek:

quincy

I ... I can't.

You're too nice and helpful and just too good of a person, and I cannot subject you to the train wreck that is the Swamp Family.

Imagine a few million (I'm not kidding) manic tweens whose parents have completely failed in parenting, chasing you down online to attack you like you are shark bait. Well, gator bait, but you get the point.

:eek: :eek:
I guess I will be happy that I haven't encountered the Swamp Family then. I thought my kids liking Justin Bieber was bad but this sounds much much worse. :)

winorlose1

Just a word of advice from a long-time ebay and amazon seller. The US First Sale Doctrine holds very little water on these sites. If Moose Toys complains to eBay, eBay will remove your listings, plain and simple, without even investigating. And there is nothing you can do about it even though you may be selling them under the premise that they are NIB but never used (in other words, you are claiming you bought them as a consumer but never opened/used them). It will take a lot of effort to get ebay to allow you to relist them and it isn't gonna be worth the time or money.

But don't believe me out of faith, check the ebay and amazon seller forums and you will find loads of threads about this very subject.

My advice to you would be to see if others are selling Shiopkins toys and try to surmise if they are authorized resellers or not. If they are, then forget it and save yourself a lot of time and money. Also, follow them and see if they get shut down. Even if they are authorized resellers, they may be going against moose toys agreement to NOT sell on Amazon or Ebay (not saying they have this rule, but many companies do depending on their contract with the manufacturer). But CERTAINLY don't just buy the lot of cheap Shopkins without doing your research unless you know you will be able to unload them locally and at least break even.

eBay and Amazon favor manufacturers & trademark owners and don't care about the US First Sale Doctrine. They just do what the manufacturers and trademark owners tell them to do and you will lose out no matter how unjust it may be. You won;t be able to afford a lawyer to fight it and getting a lawyer to fight it would not be cost effective anyhow and they know it, which is why the US First Sale Doctrine takes a back seat when it comes to the demands of manufacturers on ebay/amazon.

Good luck.

Last edited:

quincy

First, is there any reason why you are reviving older threads on this forum tonight, winorlose1? This forum prefers to leave older threads alone unless the original poster returns to add additional questions. lakrav has not done that.

Just a word of advice from a long-time ebay and amazon seller. The US First Sale Doctrine holds very little water on these sites. If Moose Toys complains to eBay, eBay will remove your listings, plain and simple, without even investigating. And there is nothing you can do about it even though you may be selling them under the premise that they are NIB but never used (in other words, you are claiming you bought them as a consumer but never opened/used them). It will take a lot of effort to get ebay to allow you to relist them and it isn't gonna be worth the time or money.
I agree that eBay and Amazon can pull any items from their site, with or without contact from a trademark holder or a copyright holder. I also agree that most people do not have the funds on hand to fight a large company. It can often be easiest if you are selling a legal item that has been legally purchased and you are notified by eBay or Amazon or a trademark/copyright holder that it is infringing, to simply accept the fact you cannot sell the item on eBay or Amazon and try to sell it elsewhere, like at a yard sale. Flea markets, like online sites, are generally patrolled by rights-holders, too, so if you decide to sell at a flea market, you may run into difficulty, as well.

My advice to you would be to see if others are selling Shiopkins toys and try to surmise if they are authorized resellers or not. If they are, then forget it and save yourself a lot of time and money. Also, follow them and see if they get shut down. Even if they are authorized resellers, they may be going against moose toys agreement to NOT sell on Amazon or Ebay (not saying they have this rule, but many companies do depending on their contract with the manufacturer). But CERTAINLY don't just buy the lot of cheap Shopkins without doing your research unless you know you will be able to unload them locally and at least break even.
It is probably a lot easier to check with the manufacturer. They usually provide tips to help you identify a real item from a counterfeit item.

Buying an item from someone you do not know at a price that is well-below the retail value of that item is often a sign that the item is a counterfeit. It can also be possible to buy legitimate items for a lower price, though, if you are an educated purchaser and you know your seller.

eBay and Amazon favor manufacturers & trademark owners and don't care about the US First Sale Doctrine.
This really isn't true. eBay and Amazon favor sellers who sell legitimate items.

The manufacturers and trademark holders are aggressive in their pursuit of infringers because they have to be. They can lose their trademarks if they are not vigilant. They really don't care for counterfeiters. Counterfeiters try to make money by capitalizing on the hard-earned reputations of others, costing manufacturers and trademark holders millions of dollars a year.

You would be aggressive in policing the marketplace for infringers, too, if you lost as much money as they do.

They just do what the manufacturers and trademark owners tell them to do and you will lose out no matter how unjust it may be. You won;t be able to afford a lawyer to fight it and getting a lawyer to fight it would not be cost effective anyhow and they know it, which is why the US First Sale Doctrine takes a back seat when it comes to the demands of manufacturers on ebay/amazon. ...
Cost is definitely a factor. Large companies have large bank accounts and large teams of experienced lawyers. It is hard for "the little guy" to fight the big guy.

Now, please do not revive any more old threads. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">