• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I pay the copyright settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophie6

I'm pretty convinced that it's worth paying the pre-settlement offer(s), but there are a couple of nagging questions stopping me from getting in touch with CEG, LLC.

As I posted above, the titles in question have not been registered with the US Copyright office. I probably don't have this exactly right, but I understand that copyright begins upon creation, and it's only required to register a copyright if they wish to pursue litigation. (?) I can't however find information on how one goes about determining if the demands are actually being made by the copyright holder, short of hiring a lawyer.

The other question I have is regarding the duplicate notices I received for the same film. I expect that these would be considered a correctable error, and that paying one settlement for each film will be sufficient, but I fear giving my identity away only to find out that they expect to be paid for every "infringement". I'd appreciate any thoughts on this matter, particularly if anyone reading this has any direct experience. Thank you.

idrum88

I'm pretty convinced that it's worth paying the pre-settlement offer(s), but there are a couple of nagging questions stopping me from getting in touch with CEG, LLC.

As I posted above, the titles in question have not been registered with the US Copyright office. I probably don't have this exactly right, but I understand that copyright begins upon creation, and it's only required to register a copyright if they wish to pursue litigation. (?) I can't however find information on how one goes about determining if the demands are actually being made by the copyright holder, short of hiring a lawyer.

The other question I have is regarding the duplicate notices I received for the same film. I expect that these would be considered a correctable error, and that paying one settlement for each film will be sufficient, but I fear giving my identity away only to find out that they expect to be paid for every "infringement". I'd appreciate any thoughts on this matter, particularly if anyone reading this has any direct experience. Thank you.
when did you receive your letters? When are you expected to "settle". I am in the same boat and searching for answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">