• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ski area name useage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mountainfoundry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I am looking into creating posters of ski areas and need clarity regarding the use of names of ski areas.

This is a three part question.

1) I'm reasonably sure that I can use, e.g. Crested Butte, Colorado as the title of an artistic rendering of a scene or run at a ski area. Questions: Can I sell an artistic rendering of the ski area Crested Butte, titled Crested butte? I figure since the land is owned by the national forest and there are tons of pics for sale of mountain peaks in Colorado (property of national forest), my thought is I wouldn't be looking at any action from the National Forest, nor would I be in trouble using the title of a town like Crested butte, since it wouldn't be much different than an artistic rendering of Philadelphia titled, Philadelphia Pennsylvania. Please advise.

2) Where I feel I may be infringing on a ski area would be if I used a ski area that's name doesn't represent the town, e.g. Snowbird (it's in little cottonwood canyon, there's no town of Snowbird). Please advise.

3) Using the proper name of a ski run would be illegal, since it's likely the property of the ski area? Please advise.

Thank you in very much for any consideration given these questions. I greatly appreciate it!

cyjeff

You can use the names of towns... Crested Butte, New York, Denver, LA... on any materials you make yourself. Town/location names are not trademarked.

The names of ski resorts typically are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">