• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Media, Copyright, rights protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rainnew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Regarding: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
I am confused by all of the literature, waivers, etc. that I have read regarding sharing content to social media platforms. I would like to understand better the copyright protection to my photographs when I post to these sites. Do these platforms have free rights to my work?

I am new to social media and would like to understand what I am relinquishing by sharing my photography (if I decide to join and post).

I understand this is a vast topic, so if it is better to direct me to a link or another resource, I appreciate the direction. Thank You.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Regarding: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
I am confused by all of the literature, waivers, etc. that I have read regarding sharing content to social media platforms. I would like to understand better the copyright protection to my photographs when I post to these sites. Do these platforms have free rights to my work?

I am new to social media and would like to understand what I am relinquishing by sharing my photography (if I decide to join and post).

I understand this is a vast topic, so if it is better to direct me to a link or another resource, I appreciate the direction. Thank You.
Whenever you are considering submitting your copyrighted work to a website, it is vital that you read the Terms and Conditions of the site. You will more than likely be transferring rights in your works with your submission and you want to be sure you know what rights are being transferred and how this transfer will affect your own rights in the works you have created.

For example, if you read the Terms and Conditions of this site, you discover that all submissions to this site become the property of FreeAdvice. FreeAdvice is given a nonexclusive license to use whatever is submitted in any way they want. Because you are granting FreeAdvice a nonexclusive license to use what you submit to this site, you are not transferring ALL of your rights in your submissions. You retain the copyrights in anything you contribute to this site. However you are sharing all of the exclusive rights in your copyrighted submissions.

Most sites operate in a similar way. Nonexclusive rights are granted, by way of a license to use, to the website - so you will retain rights but you have granted the site equal rights.

If you are concerned about the copyrights in your works being infringed, you would be smart to register your copyrighted works with the US Copyright Office prior to submission to any site. Registration in the US is not necessary to have protection for your copyrighted works but registration provides you with additional legal remedies should your work or works be infringed, including being eligible to collect statutory damages in amounts ranging from $750 to $30,000 per work (or up to $150,000 per work for especially egregious infringement).

And, again, submissions of your copyrighted works to a website should be made only AFTER you have read and UNDERSTOOD the terms under which your works are being submitted.

Here is a link to the US Copyright Office website for additional information on copyright protection and on how to register your works: http://www.copyright.gov

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">