• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

software

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gordon Chamberl

What is the name of your state? Virginia. I purchased a "new" computer system from a college student operating out of his house (he advertised on the community board at local grocer). The problem is the Norton's anti-virus program he installed is messing up and the error message I get is to reinstall the program using the original cd. When I contacted the college student he told me he "gave" me the program and that I could not have the cd. I told him this program was included in my original purchase(I asked to have an anyi-virus program). Unfortunately this program is not included in the invoice. Do I have any legal recourse? Also, since he is a legitimate business(invoice and name) could he be in trouble if I contacted Norton's and told them what happened? Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

First of all, the program is made by Symantec. Not "Nortons". Symantec kept the old "Norton" name because of its widespread known name from years ago. It was created by Peter Norton. He's still pictured on the box. While it's still called "Norton Anti-Virus", it's no longer made by Peter Norton.

Second, how is "reporting" him to Symantec going to get what you want?

Third, since you didn't buy the program, but still have it on your computer, Symantec is also going to have some questions for you! How are you going to explain THAT fact? By saying, "Gee, I didn't know"? That doesn't work.

Make life simple for yourself. Go out and buy the program and install it yourself.

IAAL

Last edited:
G

Gordon Chamberl

I was incorrect...on my invoice it states anti-virus program included in price(does not specify "Norton"), so now do I have any recourse? also, Thanks to the responder who gave me the history of Nortons, that was very informative and helped me immensely. I am impressed with all the courteous, helpful people on this forum! Thanks to all the nice people, they help make the world a better place to live!

JETX

Okay, lets cut to the chase.
1) The person who provided the computer to you MAY have violated copyright laws. You can certainly contact the copyright owner (Symantec) and advise them of his action.
2) You, as owner, having an illegal copy on your computer MAY also be in violation of copyright law. You are required to remove the offending material from your computer.
3) Since your invoice says that the seller is to include ANY anti-virus program, you can certainly force him to provide one (if I were him, I would download the free one I steered you to and give it to you). Claim closed.

So, now what are you going to do?? Report him and demand an anti-virus program and get the freebie??
Or, you can go buy the damn software (Norton SystemWorks is always on sale, often for free after rebate). In fact, Staples has it that way this week!

Get a life.... get an anti-virus program.

G

Gordon Chamberl

JETX

Thank you for being so kind and courteous with your reply! I like how you slap me around. You woke me up! How dare I be concerned that some arrogant, snotty college kid(whom I trusted and dared give him a chance and business) rip me off. I did not want to go into it, but the college kid also sold me a scanner that was not compatiable with my computer, and sold me the wrong mouse. I went to his house and met his parents before I purchased the computer,( how nice they were), he sold me on his honesty and his promise that I could call or e-mail him anytime for help. I e-mailed him only once and he never responded. After several more attempts he finally replied in an arrogant and discourteous manner. I was letting him off with the scanner(since I hardly ever use it), but the virus thing was the 3rd and final wrong. I imagine that you are unattractive, obese, anti-social and lack any true friends. This forum is YOUR life. You need to get a life--I have one and I LOVE it...I am soooooo HAPPY!!! Hee hee, haa haa hoo hoo zippidy do da...smell my undies...you old stinky poo poo butt-head monkey face goat...damn I feel good! GOD will get you! Bye, and may GOD bless your uly ass

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">