• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Software copyrights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jarney

Hello all,
I'm glad I found this forum, looks to be very useful.
CD copyright question:
If you run a new and used computer store, selling many used computers with "Windows" software already on the computer, but have no "Windows" cd for that particular computer, is it illegal to make a back up of what is on the computer to go with the computer when it is sold? Customers complain when installing other components, accessories, etc.
Example: Someone buys a computer, takes it home, tries to install a printer, receives the message on their screen - "Please insert "Windows ** disk". It does this searching for drivers, cab files, etc.
I know it is illegal to copy a "Windows" cd and just freely distribute it around, especially the same disc.
But I also know (or think) it is legal to make back up copies as long as you own the original. (For use in case of damage to the cd, cd gets lost, etc.)
It seems like all you would be doing is making a back up for someone who would already own the original, even though the original is not in disk form.
Does any of this sound right? Am I grabbing at straws? Just curious. It would solve a lot of extra work and hassle for customers.
Thank you for any help you can give.
Oops. I forgot, I'm in Indiana.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">