• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Software developed while being employed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimosavi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi, I used to worked for a company as a business consultant (not developer). While in the company I created a small Access Tool to help me do my analysis with the clients.

While I was finishing the Tool they laid off a few employees (including me) and they asked me to finished the tool and handed it to them. I asked some of my collegues and they never started using the tool, almost 1 1/2 years have passed.

I now want to develop the same or similar concept of the analysis but in a multi-user corporate level application (this applications will have most of the features from the Tool, plus many additions as well).

Do I have to worry about any kind of legal issues concerning the creation of the application?

Thank you in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Possibly.

I used to work for an Intellectual Property attorney and remember just enough to be dangerous. But if I recall correctly, your employer owns what you develop on their time and/or for their use, unless an agreement exists that says otherwise.

You should talk to an IP attorney before taking any action.

kimosavi

Thanks cbg for your reply.

There was no agreement and I definitly understand that they own the tool I developed while an employee. I will not use the same tool to sell it.

I will recreate from scratch a brand new product using new technology, new screens, new interfaces. Also this application will work on a grand scale connecting multi-users, creating connections to large DBMS and will have additional features not found on the tool.

The concept will be similar, take the data, analyze it and create results. Since the calculations and formulas are business standards I don't think that I will be infridging any laws by reusing the same formulas and output.

But I might be completely wrong.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">