• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Software Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jswota

What is the name of your state? New York

Let me begin by saying that the compny I work for does not employ any programmers and has nothing to do with programming.

While working there, I was introduced to a problem that could be solved with a program. I new that if I was going to write this program I would need to take some classes. I took several classes which I paid for myself. I spoke with my boss and told him that I wanted to write the program for him. He agreed and though that it would be a good project for me. (We did not discuss on whose time the program would be written) From the beginning I new that there was a large market for this program so I made sure that it would no only work for my company but could also be customized for any company. After about one year I had finally completed the program. About 75% of the hours were spent at home while the other 25% were on company time. I approached my boss and told him that I wanted to sell this program. He replied with a firm negative. He said that it was not so much an issue of money but that the program was not my idea and that it would be wrong for me to sell it. I was told that the program was the company's idea because I never would have written it if I didn't work there in the first place. I suggested that it was not the company's idea, but the company's problem that led to my idea to write the program. I designed what I think is a great program and I am worried that it may no longer belong to me.

I think my only problem is that I spent some of my time creating the program at work.

What I would really like to know is: When I am no longer working for this company, will I have any rights to this program? Is there any way for me to own this program 100% and not worry about my boss? (Even if it means starting from scatch on my own time)

Thanks for reading ths. Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
Joel

J

Jas0nG

HI

Don't have any advice, but will be following yours to see what you get, cuz mine falls in the same realm. You might want to follow mine too. Curious. Did you sign anything having to do with ownership? Did you write your program in a development tool that uses source files where your client can have the application without having to have the source files? A friend of mine in the industry believes that source code is our intellectual property and he's had to sign something everywhere he's worked stating that the client has the rights to them, and I never signed anything. But I really don't know the implications. Just thought I'd introduce myself. Hope you don't mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">