• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone stealing the classified ads from our site.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

albatros

We have a website which has casting calls for actors on it. (Essentially "classified ads" for jobs for actors).

We discovered that another site is taking occasionally an ad we have posted and is posting it on their (pay-to-join) site for actors, albeit with slightly changed wording.

Are they committing a crime by doing this? Is there realistically something we can do about this?

Thanks!

FlyingRon

The fact that you there is a audition or call and the particulars are facts. Facts are NOT protected by copyright. Unless they are literally copying your listings, you likely don't have a claim. Further, *YOU* likely don't own the material anyhow, whowever placed the ad with you does.

quincy

We have a website which has casting calls for actors on it. (Essentially "classified ads" for jobs for actors).

We discovered that another site is taking occasionally an ad we have posted and is posting it on their (pay-to-join) site for actors, albeit with slightly changed wording.

Are they committing a crime by doing this? Is there realistically something we can do about this?

Thanks!
What is the name of your state, albatros, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Classified ads rarely have enough originality and creativity to be eligible for copyright protection. As FlyingRon said, ads contain mostly facts and facts can be used by anyone. The ad would need creative text or images or illustrations to allow for the author of the ad to claim infringement. And this is unlikely.

Is your website one that contracted with, for example, a studio, to have an exclusive right to advertise the casting calls? If not, I cannot offhand see anything else in what you posted that indicates any rights were infringed or that there is anything you can realistically do about the pilfering of ads from your website to use the facts to advertise the casting calls on other sites.

A country name could potentially make a difference ...

quincy

Perhaps editing your ads to make the specific info available only after your site is contacted will help.
A website that requires contacting the site in order to receive casting call information appears to me to change the whole nature of the particular website albatross operates.

The value of his site seems to be that an actor does not need to pay for the information or jump through hoops to get it. The ad provides what is needed.

If facts are being taken from his ads for use by a paid site, there is really very little competition between the sites.

albatros needs to provide the name of his country, though, because this can play a role in what is legally allowed and what is not.

albatros

Thanks for your help on this. The site is based in the US. We're thinking of making it "members only" which would help stop the copying in most cases. But that will take time...

quincy

Thanks for your help on this. The site is based in the US. We're thinking of making it "members only" which would help stop the copying in most cases. But that will take time...
I like the fact that you are offering the information for free. It seems to me that it puts you ahead of the "pay for membership" competition. The revenue for your site can come from paid ads that are actor-related.

But, whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck with your website.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">