• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Song Title/Lyrics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bman88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

I want to develop/design a series of posters playing off of some song titles, most only using the song titles somewhere in the design. I think eventually I might want to have them printed and then sold for profit or for charity purposes. Is this copyright infringement by using only 2-3 words from some song titles? Do these particular artists/bands really own the rights to a few words from the dictionary?

quincy

The song titles are not protectable by copyright, however there may be trademark rights in the titles. Lyrics to the songs would almost certainly be protected by copyright and could not, under most circumstances, be used without permission from the holder of the rights.

Whether your use would infringe on any rights, therefore, really depends on what song titles you intend to use and how you intend to use them. Having an attorney review your proposed plans is the best way to avoid any legal issues arising from these plans.

But, yes, it is really possible for someone to hold rights in a few words (and occasionally even one word) from the dictionary. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">