• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Startup business - Similar Names?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vixlun

Hello,

I am in the process of starting my own company in the United Kingdom but have concerns with the brand names and the similarity of the two. I will not mention the ‘actual’ companies in name but I will use an example to demonstrate an exact replication of the situation I am in.

I used to work as a graphic designer for a company called ‘EarthQuakes’ for two years. I handed in my notice a couple of months ago to pursue my own career.

‘EarthQuakes’ produce and sell products to builders and companies who supply materials for building. The material of the products are designed to withstand and be resistant against any natural disasters (such as earthquakes, hence the brand name). They have been in the industry for 10 years and are recognised by many companies within the sector. They are not the only company in this industry and United Kingdom to produce this type of materials for building.

‘EarthQuakes’ have been using their trading name for 6 years now but the company was registered prior to this under a completely different name, PS Construction Ltd. Please note, neither ‘EarthQuakes’ nor ‘PS Construction Ltd.’ have a registered trademark.

I plan to start my own business selling the same products (to withstand natural disasters such as earthquakes) in the same area, United Kingdom. This means there could possibly be a cross over in the clients both of our companies do business with.

-

So here is my concern - I would like my business to trade under the name ‘Quakes Materials’. Some would say there is a clear resemblance and are noticeably similar company names (Earthquakes & Quakes Materials) when you say the two out loud. My main concern would be for either ‘passing off’ or just simply breaching the other company brand name by being seen as copying. Please note, there would be no similarity in terms of visual branding, logos and text copy throughout the website or any of the advertising material.

I am having a 30 minute meeting with a qualified attorney in 2 months’ time. This is the earliest I could get an appointment but I am concerned as I do not really have the time to wait for this. He could possible give some useless information or simply not enough information in the 30 minute window I have to both explain the situation and receive coherent advice. I am hoping someone here can support me in this as I have read endless amounts of forums, articles, reviews and the official gov documents regarding my situation but none of them give clear information.

quincy

Hello,

I am in the process of starting my own company in the United Kingdom but have concerns with the brand names and the similarity of the two. I will not mention the ‘actual’ companies in name but I will use an example to demonstrate an exact replication of the situation I am in.

I used to work as a graphic designer for a company called ‘EarthQuakes’ for two years. I handed in my notice a couple of months ago to pursue my own career.

‘EarthQuakes’ produce and sell products to builders and companies who supply materials for building. The material of the products are designed to withstand and be resistant against any natural disasters (such as earthquakes, hence the brand name). They have been in the industry for 10 years and are recognised by many companies within the sector. They are not the only company in this industry and United Kingdom to produce this type of materials for building.

‘EarthQuakes’ have been using their trading name for 6 years now but the company was registered prior to this under a completely different name, PS Construction Ltd. Please note, neither ‘EarthQuakes’ nor ‘PS Construction Ltd.’ have a registered trademark.

I plan to start my own business selling the same products (to withstand natural disasters such as earthquakes) in the same area, United Kingdom. This means there could possibly be a cross over in the clients both of our companies do business with.

-

So here is my concern - I would like my business to trade under the name ‘Quakes Materials’. Some would say there is a clear resemblance and are noticeably similar company names (Earthquakes & Quakes Materials) when you say the two out loud. My main concern would be for either ‘passing off’ or just simply breaching the other company brand name by being seen as copying. Please note, there would be no similarity in terms of visual branding, logos and text copy throughout the website or any of the advertising material.

I am having a 30 minute meeting with a qualified attorney in 2 months’ time. This is the earliest I could get an appointment but I am concerned as I do not really have the time to wait for this. He could possible give some useless information or simply not enough information in the 30 minute window I have to both explain the situation and receive coherent advice. I am hoping someone here can support me in this as I have read endless amounts of forums, articles, reviews and the official gov documents regarding my situation but none of them give clear information.
You will need to concern yourself with the trademark laws in the UK because those are the laws that will apply to you. FreeAdvice handles US law questions and legal concerns only.

I think, however, that you would be smart to choose a name for your company that is nothing at all like the other company, especially since your company will be marketing the same products to the same clientele. This will be the best way for you to avoid a legal challenge.

Good luck with your new company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">