• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stock Footage Copyrights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hiramab

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

If I videotape people walking on public property, such as a busy street, can I sell the footage? I noticed online sites selling footage where dozens upon dozens of people were walking going about their business. Surely they did not get consent forms for 50+ people.

The Occultist

When in a public place, people tend to lose their right to a reasonable amount of privacy. As long as you do not make it appear that any of these people are endorcing yourself or any products or anything of that nature, then you are generally in the clear. To be on the safe side, however, it is wise to actually sit down with an attorney versed in such law so that he may look over all relevant facts/details, including what your intentions of the footage are, so that he may advise you accordingly. You may find that the payment for such a service is well worth the peace of mind in lowering the potential of any related lawsuits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">