• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Streaming Copyrighted Video

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

I'm not sure just what you're asking, but I can guarantee that if you do not own the rights to the video, it's illegal.

FlyingRon

Actual "hosting" location matters little. You don't get a free ride on copyright infringement because you're stealing bandwidth as well.

The Occultist

Streaming actually has its own specific set of laws, and are more restrictive than most copyright laws. Read: do not do it.

Mass_Shyster

US Law Only

How can you stream something that you do not host?

If you are simply posting a link on your website that refers to the streamed video (using an embed link or similar), you may not be breaking the law. I think it's still a grey area as the content is going directly from the server to the client.

If you are bringing the stream into your server and reflecting it back to a client, that's a no-no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">