• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

t-shirt sayings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

simply creative

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I would like to start printing and selling t-shirts with sayings I have seen elsewhere or found on the internet. Do I need to get permission from the author if no copywright or trademark logo is found? How do I make sure the saying is not copywrited? Is it safe to say it's free game if the slogan is changed a little or I add art work to make it a whole new t-shirt?

quincy

To search for registered patents and trademarks, you can go to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) website and this site will direct you on how to search. www.uspto.gov
For a copyright search, go to www.copyright.gov.
Even if there is no copyright or trademark on an item, it does not mean the item is not copyrighted or trademarked.

divgradcurl

Short phrases cannot be copyrighted, so you would need to be concerned with trademark. Since trademark rights areise through use in commerce, you can have trademark rights without registration as quincy noted.

If you are going to be expending significant time, effort and finances into this venture, you may want to consult with an attorney, who can help you determine what you can and can't do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">