• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking from the dead

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

web14t

I am in the great state of Illinois.

In Springfield we have a Frank Lloyd Wright House that I really like. I wanted to know would there be an infringement if I were to build and an exact replica of that house? Currently the house is owned by the state and Wright has died. ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

quincy

Yes. Frank Lloyd Wright's designs are copyrighted, from his lighting fixtures, windows, woodwork, furniture and glasswork to his house plans. Even his designs from before 1923, which would ordinarily put them in the public domain, were recreated by Wright after 1923 and are still covered by copyright.

To license the rights to recreate one of his homes, you can contact the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation through www.franklloydwright.org.

Be aware that licenses have already been granted to many companies, allowing them the rights to recreate some of his work (ie. windows by Anderson), so you may need to use these companies in order to replicate a Frank Lloyd Wright home.

You can work with an architect of your own to take some of the ideas found in a Wright home and incorporate them into a new design. To build an exact replica of a Wright home, however, requires authorization and licensing from the Wright Foundation.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I am a big fan of FLlW as well. Quincy is 100% on the mark. The "prairie style" or other themes embodied aren't protected. I have had an architect design me a "Wright-style" house. It's actually not anything Wright himself would ever had considered. Too darn big. I did use the Kaufmann-Wright argument with my architect. Wright designed a small desk for Falling Water. Kaufmann argued it was too small for him and this went back and forth until Kaufmann pointed out it was so small that he doubted he could write a check to his architect on it.

quincy

There is a Wright home in my area. While beautiful to look at, people who have stayed in it say it is a bit uncomfortable and impractical for today's lifestyle.

Nonetheless, I would love to own one. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">