• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking Excerpts from Internet for a book

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debbieb34

What is the name of your state? Florida.
I wish to write a book about caregivers of traumatic brain injured people. I want to use some of the stories that I have seen written on the internet. Do I need to get their permission?

Second question: I want to solicit some of these people to email me more stories that I can include in my book, what, if anything do I need them to sign that would protect me from being sued for using their stories.

Thank You.

C

CombatTN88

debbieb34 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida.
I wish to write a book about caregivers of traumatic brain injured people. I want to use some of the stories that I have seen written on the internet. Do I need to get their permission?

Second question: I want to solicit some of these people to email me more stories that I can include in my book, what, if anything do I need them to sign that would protect me from being sued for using their stories.

Thank You.
Using somebody's material required you to credit somebody. Yes, you need to ask for a permission before your book gets published or that somebody can sue you to get royalities.

L

loku

I WANT TO USE SOME OF THE STORIES THAT I HAVE SEEN WRITTEN ON THE INTERNET. DO I NEED TO GET THEIR PERMISSION?
You do need the author's permission to publish the stories as they are printed on the Internet, but you do not need their permission to retell the stories in your own words. It is the form of a writing and not the content that is protected. But be sure to change all the wording. Even then, it would be courteous to refer to your source.

SECOND QUESTION: I WANT TO SOLICIT SOME OF THESE PEOPLE TO EMAIL ME MORE STORIES THAT I CAN INCLUDE IN MY BOOK, WHAT, IF ANYTHING DO I NEED THEM TO SIGN THAT WOULD PROTECT ME FROM BEING SUED FOR USING THEIR STORIES.
If you want to use their stories verbatim, then a simple letter signed by them, allowing you to use the stories is enough to protect you. But be sure to be specific as to how you are to use the stories.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">