• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Textbooks/books Fair Use for Courses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zaxx81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Is permission required for developing courses based-on a textbook, study guide, professional book? Course contents would include lecture presentations (PowerPoints/web pages), quizzes, figures (developed from figures in the book, but not a direct copy), and animations/video. The first course I would like to develop commercially, is based on a something I currently teach at a college.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Is permission required for developing courses based-on a textbook, study guide, professional book? Course contents would include lecture presentations (PowerPoints/web pages), quizzes, figures (developed from figures in the book, but not a direct copy), and animations/video. The first course I would like to develop commercially, is based on a something I currently teach at a college.
It would be smart for you to get permission from the copyright holder, especially if you intend to use the copyrighted material in a commercial venture.

The Copyright Act has carved out an exception to the rights held by copyright holders to allow for some uses of copyrighted material under some circumstances. These uses are considered a "fair use" of the material and not an infringement on rights. However, fair use is not permission to use copyrighted works. Rather, fair use is an affirmative defense to a claim of infringement.

If a copyright holder objects to an unauthorized use of his copyrighted material and sues for infringement, it is up to a court to decide if the use is a fair use of the material or not. Fair use depends on the particular facts that are present, and on many factors, and is decided on a case-by-case basis.

You might want to review all specifics with an attorney in your area.

Good luck.

mmmagique

Or do what my hubs did and write your own. (several, in fact!) Then make it required reading for the course! Problem solved. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">