• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft Copyright Title & Idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bscript

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm a screenwriter with a literary option set to expire 9/30/09. The producer who optioned the material cannot come up with the funds to purchase the screenplay. During the option period, he set up a website to entice financiers. This website included merchandise based on my literary material. The producer is now claiming that he can trademark the title of my project and sell the merchandise that's based on my screenplay without my consent because he claims that my copyright does not protect the title or the idea. Is this factual? If not, what can I do?

quincy

The claims by the producer that titles and ideas cannot be copyrighted is accurate. Titles and ideas cannot be copyrighted (although some names and titles may be trademarked).

A website set up to entice investors was a bad idea.

As for selling merchandise based on your screenplay, that is something you should speak to an IP attorney about. That very possibly violates the copyright in your work.

And you should register your screenplay if you have not done so already.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">