• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are there any countries without any copyright laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fewavy

Are there any countries without any copyright laws?

Also are there any countries without any intellectual property laws?

single317dad

This question is more complex than simply providing a list of countries. Exactly what one intends to "copy", whether one intends to distribute said copies, and whether one intends to profit from said distribution all affect the answer. For example, the founders of The Pirate Bay learned recently that enabling distribution of copyrighted material from around the world with impunity was not possible in Sweden as they imagined it was. Similarly, Kim Dotcom has now been educated on New Zealand's policies regarding piracy.

Here is a good starting point from which to begin further investigation into your specific intent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyright_situations_by_country

FlyingRon

There are 194 countries that are signatories to at least one of the major copyright treaties. Probably a few more have copyright laws internally without being part of an international agreement.

quincy

Fewavy, the answer to both of your questions is "yes."

What is the name of your state, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Fewavy

I ask this question because I am looking for a place where people can make and share any remixes of songs without worrying about copyright infringement. It doesn't matter if the place doesn't permit financial profit from the remixes.

Is there any place in the world like this? If so where?

I am in the state of Alabama.

quincy

I ask this question because I am looking for a place where people can make and share any remixes of songs without worrying about copyright infringement. It doesn't matter if the place doesn't permit financial profit from the remixes.

Ah. Well, for one thing you and your friends wouldn't like living in the country I am thinking of, even though you could infringe within its boundaries with impunity, and, for another thing, this forum does not generally provide information that helps people break the laws of this country.

FlyingRon

Even if some mythical lala land did exist, what good would it do you? Are you gong to live in lower slabovia so you can listen to your remix?

justalayman

it would be cheaper and a lot more comfortable to purchase the rights to use the various works as you intend. I imagine the daily commute from wherever to your job in Alabama would be a bit of a bummer as well.

quincy

Maybe Elbonia, but the Holy See is a signatory of the Berne convention.
I knew the Vatican did not apply, but I actually had to look up Elbonia. I thought perhaps the world had snuck in another country when my back was turned. :)

I guess my knowledge of comic strips is subpar. I have never read "Dilbert."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">